Rainy days are the best for getting cozy and putting on a classic country record. What could be better than listening to a Johnny Cash album with some tea or whiskey on a cold, dreary day? Or listening to Keith Urban describing the beauty of rain slowing us down when we need it most? Whether you love rain or can’t wait for the sunshine to return, here are our picks of best country songs for a rainy day.
1. “I Love a Rainy Night” was co-written by country artist Eddie Rabbitt and released on his 1980 album Horizon.
“Well, I love a rainy night. I love a rainy night. I love to hear the thunder. Watch the lightning. When it lights up the sky. You know it makes me feel good.”
2. “Rain is a Good Thing” was co-written by Luke Bryan and released on his 2009 album Doin’ My Thing.
“Rain makes corn, corn makes whiskey. Whiskey makes my baby feel a little frisky. Back roads are boggin’ up, my buddies pile up in my truck. We hunt our hunnies down, we take ’em into town. Start washin’ all our worries down the drain. Rain is a good thing.”
3. “Kentucky Rain” was a hit for Presley in the 1970s.
“Kentucky rain keeps pouring down. And up ahead’s another town that I’ll go walking through. With the rain in my shoes (Rain in my shoes. Searching for you in the cold Kentucky rain.”
4. “Raining on Sunday” was covered by Keith Urban on his 2002 album Golden Road.
“We’ll hide under the covers all afternoon. Baby whatever comes Monday can take care of itself ’cause we’ve got better things that we can do when it’s rainin’ on Sunday.”
5. “Five Feet High and Rising” is about a flood that Johnny Cash actually experienced.
“How high’s the water, mama? Four feet high and rising. How high’s the water, papa? She said it’s four feet high and rising.”
6. “She’s My Kind of Rain” was released on Tim McGraw’s 2002 album Tim McGraw and the Dancehall Doctors.
“She’s my kind of rain. Like love from a drunken sky. Confetti falling down all night. She’s my kind of rain.”
7. “Rain on a Tin Roof” was released on Little Big Town’s 2010 album The Reason Why.
Her love’s like rain on a tin roof. Sweet song on a summertime storm. And the way that it moves you. It’s a melody of passion raging on. Then it’s gone.”
8. “Come in With the Rain” was released on Taylor Swift’s 2008 album Fearless.
“I’ll leave my window open ’cause I’m too tired tonight to call your name. Just know I’m right here hoping that you’ll come in with the rain.”
9. “I Wish I Were the Rain” was released on SHeDAISY’s 2002 album Knock on the Sky.
“It can feed a field. Put out a fire. And never feel the pain. Oh, I wish I were the rain. I wish I were the rain.”
10. “Rainin’ You” was released on Brad Paisley’s 2005 album Time Well Wasted.
“It feels like it’s rainin’ you. I can’t explain it but I am baptized anew. It feels like it’s rainin’ you.”
Enjoy these 10 country tracks the next time you’re rained in!
To hear more of country music’s best new releases, head to our Playlists Page and follow The Nash New Releases playlist on Spotify. For the latest in country music news follow The Nash News on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and TikTok and don’t miss our brand new newsletter!